While we are all aware of the importance of oral and dental health, we often tend to neglect it. We have all experienced tooth problems at some point in life. However, rather than seeking help, we ignore it as the sound of the dental drill gives us the chills. But, this ignorance can cause significant issues in the long run, leading to expensive dental treatments. Below we have listed the top dental problems that you must not ignore and provided a solution for each.
Top Dental Issues and Their Solutions
- Toothache: It can be due to an infection or damage to the nerve or cavity. The root cause decides the severity of the tooth pain.
Solution: A dentist is the best person to prescribe the treatment by thoroughly checking and determining the cause of toothache. It can be treated either by oral medicine or topical application of gels around the inflamed area.
- Yellowing Of Teeth: The use of tobacco, cigarettes, and excessive drinking can leave stains on the tooth surface. The harsh chemicals in it can also affect your enamel, leading to cavity or tooth decay.
Solution: To rectify yellow teeth or tobacco stains on teeth, the dentist may recommend a teeth whitening procedure. Post the procedure, it is prudent to limit the use of tobacco and cigarettes and cut down on alcohol intake.
- Sensitivity: Tooth sensitivity can be caused due to many factors such as worn tooth enamel, worn tooth filling, cracked, chipped, or broken tooth. Cavities can also lead to tooth sensitivity in some cases, wherein the tooth roots are exposed. Likewise, gum disease can lead to sensitivity.
Solution: Depending on the cause, the dentist will recommend appropriate treatments for tooth sensitivity. Good oral hygiene can help resolve the issue of mild sensitivity. Sometimes, the dentist may also recommend switching your toothpaste and mouthwash to another brand.
- Cavities: This is the most common cause of toothache in adults and kids. Cavities form because of the deposition of plaque. Dental plaque is a sticky substance infested with bacteria that can damage the tooth surface and make it porous.
Solution: Avoid excess sugary foods and beverages. Brush twice a day gently, use dental floss regularly and gargle with mouthwash at least once a day. Doing this can help prevent cavities.
- Enamel Erosion: Teeth are called white pearls because of the shine in your enamel. But excess sugar intake and not brushing regularly can produce an acidic environment. This acidic environment can lead to the erosion of the enamel, resulting in tooth damage.
Solution: A simple solution to prevent erosion is to brush twice daily without fail. Also, use dental floss to remove all deposition on the tooth surface.
- Chipped Tooth: This can happen at any age. It can be due to a fall or accident or munching on hard food.
Solution: A dentist may suggest a dental crown if the damage to the teeth is extensive. This will help strengthen the tooth and will ensure that you can eat well and smile without any issues. For minor chips, the dentist may repair them with dental bonding or dental veneers.
- Dry Mouth: Dry mouth can be due to multiple reasons like aging, diabetes, nerve issue, or post-COVID complications. It could lead to constant irritation of the throat and dry coughing.
Solution: Sipping on the water every few minutes is the best solution for dry mouth. Also, avoid any dehydrating foods like coffee or alcohol, or sugary beverages.
In summary, to maintain a healthy dental and oral health:
- Brush twice a day and floss at least once
- Avoid sugary beverages and soda
- Go for dental check-ups at least twice a year
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle and oral hygiene
- Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water
- Don’t ignore tooth problems and get them treated at the earliest
To learn about other dental problems, check out this infographic.
As a Digital Strategist at Oris Dental, Emma Martin extensively writes about dental health, dental care tips, and other general healthcare-related content. She has been a vital part in helping them build a credible online presence through actionable content strategies that drive SEO, social media, and other marketing mediums. From planning and creating content to execution and evaluation, she oversees and manages all aspects of digital marketing. A problem solver at heart, she has helped many businesses reinvent their digital persona across a wide range of healthcare industries. Away from work, she likes to learn new languages and loves to paint.